History

The beginnings of the town date back to the founding of the Alemanni village Alt-Buchhorn in the 5th century AD


1811 King Friedrich von Württemberg merges Buchhorn with Dorf and Kloster Hofen to "Town and Castle Friedrichshafen". The town has only 750 inhabitants.
1824 The first steamboat takes to the waters of Lake Constance and, with the take-off of the first Zeppelin airship on July 2nd 1900, a development commences, which defines our town to this very day.
1915 The airship base Löwenthal is built and, by 1928, already converted into a public airport. The earlier railroad ferry also transports cars and lorries to Romanshorn since the year 1929. The construction of the port railway station is completed in 1933.
1943/45 The town is almost completely destroyed by air raids. The era of repair and reconstruction after the war is dominated by companies such as ZF-Friedrichshafen AG, Motoren- und Turbinen Union Friedrichshafen GmbH (MTU), Zeppelin GmbH and Dornier-Gruppe.
1950 Friedrichshafen establishes itself as an exhibition centre with the hosting of the first International Bodenseemesse (IBO). In 1962 the first "Interboot" opens its doors, later followed by many further trade fairs, which, since July 2002, can be presented on a much larger scale on the new exhibition site.
1985 - 1996 With the inauguration of the "Graf-Zeppelin-Haus" centre for culture and conferences in 1985, the growing town is provided with a venue for culture and communication and the "Zeppelin Museum", opened in 1996 in the earlier port railway station, developes into a popular attraction for visitors.
2001 100 years after the virgin flight of the "flying mammoths", the Zeppelin era begins anew. Since 2001, the Zeppelin NT is once again to be seen floating soundlessly through the skies above Lake Constance with visitors to the region.
2003 - 2006 The ARENA, a multifunctional venue for up to 4,000 people, opens. The "House of Media", K42, at Karlstraße 42, follows suite at the end of 2006.
2007 Friedrichshafen wins the T-City Competion, organised by Deutsche Telekomm Ag, and in 2007 becomes the first T-City in Germany.
2009 In summer 2009 the Dornier Museum opened its doors and become a further highlight in the Friedrichshafen cultural scene.
2011 In 2011 Friedrichshafen celebrated its 200th anniversary. Also the Zeppelin Luftschifftechnik GmbH & Co. KG won the biggest order in its company history: 3 new Zeppelin NT for Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company. More information on the development of the Zeppelin NT project you can find here. At present Friedrichshafen has approx. 59,000 inhabitants.
2012 Various events were held to celebrate 100 years of seaplane construction in Friedrichshafen.